- The Recruitment Policy states that ‘temporary acting opportunities (e.g. leave backfill) for up to 6 months can be filled internally if a VPS employee from within the VPS identified. Otherwise, employers must advertise these opportunities on the JSE.
- A temporary acting opportunity arises when a vacancy has been created due to the existing employee being temporarily away from that role for any reason (e.g. on leave, secondment etc).
- The vacancy created by this absence (when less than six months) can be filled internally (within the VPS) without needing to be advertised on the JSE.
- The VPS employee filling a temporary acting opportunity does not need to be from the same department/agency as where the vacancy has arisen. For example, one department may, by agreement, bring over a VPS employee from another department to fill a temporary acting opportunity.
- If a vacancy is longer than six months, it will need to be advertised through the JSE.
If you're interested in extending a temporary acting opportunity, please consider this FAQ.