You should assess candidates against the overall requirements for a role throughout each stage of the recruitment process, including:
- when reviewing applications
- at interview
- when doing referee checks.
The position description and job advertisement should:
- outline the requirements of the role
- include key selection criteria (KSC) consistent with the classification descriptors contained in the relevant schedule of the VPS Enterprise Agreement 2020.
Your interview questions should align with the KSC and probe for a candidate’s potential for growth (see following FAQ on assessing growth potential).
At interview, you can use your department’s assessment or scoring methods, providing they align with the:
- Robust Assessment Guidelines (v2.0) and
- the Victorian Public Sector Commission (VPSC) recruitment principles and standards.
You should apply your method consistently to all applicants.
Reference checking should seek to confirm the candidate’s responses at interview. They may allow for review of interview scoring, if warranted. Reference checking is also an opportunity to ask questions to further determine growth potential.