Clause 25 of the JSE Recruitment Policy requires that if a job is advertised on external jobs boards in the first instance, in parallel with advertising on the JSE, JSE-eligible applicants must (where reasonably practicable) be considered and assessed using the Robust Assessment Guidelines, prior to consideration of external applicants. In accordance with the Robust Assessment Guidelines (v3.0), a JSE candidate who is considered and assessed (after reference checks) to meet 70% of the overall requirements of the role, including all mandatory requirements, and is first in the order of merit must be deemed to be suitable for the role. As such, there is no need to consider any external applicants.
If there are no suitable JSE applicants who meet 70% of the overall requirements of the role, including all mandatory requirements, then external applicants can be considered and assessed.
1. Assessment of applicants can be finalised at any stage of the recruitment process. There is no obligation to continue assessment of an individual beyond review of their application (or interview, or reference checking) if it becomes evident that they do not possess the required skills and/or potential for development.
2. The requirement to consider and assess JSE-eligible applicants first only applies if you're advertising externally in the first instance, in parallel with advertising on the JSE.
3. If the same role is advertised on the JSE a second time, in parallel with advertising externally, then you can consider and assess JSE and external applicants concurrently, noting that:
(i) The Redeployment Common Policy1 and the Robust Assessment Guidelines still apply when assessing any JSE-eligible applicants.
(ii) The assessment process should include:
- checking whether any JSE applicants have priority access to vacancies, as part of the VPS redeployment process; and
- consideration being given to the growth potential of all JSE applicants including redeployees.
(iii) If the above requirements are met, then under this scenario:
a. If a redeployee applies for the role, and they meet 70% of the overall requirements of the role, including all mandatory requirements, then they have priority access to be placed in the role.
b. If a JSE applicant meets 70% of the overall requirements of the role, including all mandatory requirements, and is first in the order of merit, then they must be appointed to the role ahead of any external applicants.
c. If a JSE applicant meets 70% of the overall requirements of the role, including all mandatory requirements, but is not first in the order of merit, then a higher ranked external candidate can be appointed.
18 September 2023
1 In accordance with the Redeployment Common Policy, redeployees have priority access to be placed in vacancies that occur within the public service at their classification level and below their classification level, unless they are determined to be unsuitable for appointment to that vacancy by the prospective employing department or agency.
18 September 2023